Jawaharlal Nehru University
New Mehrauli Road,
New Delhi 110067
One of the most esteemed universities of India, Jawaharlal Nehru University is situated in Delhi. Established in 1969, it is a UGC recognized university. JNU recently completed its 40 years of service to the nation. The university is strategically located on a ridge of the Aravalli hills in the south Delhi region, covering the area of over 1000 acres. The university is organized in 10 schools with faculty of approximately 550. The university is named after the first prime minister of India, Jawaharlal Nehru. JNU Library is the one of most modern and well equipped university libraries of India. The Library has a total collection of 5.51 lakhs, which includes books, serials, non-book materials etc.
Instead of colleges, JNU offers undergraduate, postgraduate, MPhil. and research courses through various schools and centres of the university, that makes JNU different from other universities in the country. The university also has special centers like Center for the Study of Law and Governance, Center for Molecular Medicine, Special Centre for Sanskrit Studies and Center for International Trade and Development (CITD)
Refer Jawaharlal Nehu University JNU website (www.jnu.ac.in) for latest updated information on university entrance exam, date sheet and results. Here you can also download mba, mca, law, languages courses list, syllabus, fee structure details and admission form.
Courses Offered & Department
(I) School of International Studies
(A) M.Phil/Ph.D. in:
International Politics, Organisation, Disarmament & Political Geography, Diplomatic Studies, International Legal Studies, International Trade And Development; South Asian, Central Asian, Southeast Asian & Southwest Pacific Studies; Chinese, Japanese & Korean Studies; West Asian, North African And Sub-Saharan African Studies; American, Latin American, Canadian & West European Studies And Russian, Central Asian & East European Studies.
- Candidates with Master’s Degree in Political Science, History, Economics, International Relations and Area Studies with atleast 50% marks; or Master’s degree in Humanities and other Social Sciences with at least 60% marks or Master’s Degree in Natural Sciences with at least 65% marks are eligible to apply in fields other than International Legal Studies, International Trade & Development and Political Geography.
- Candidates seeking admission to M.Phil / Ph.D. programme in International Trade & Development must have their M.A. in Economics with atleast 50% marks and familiarity with Mathematics upto Bachelor’s level.
- Candidates seeking admission to M.Phil/Ph.D. programme in Political Geography must have Master’s degree in Geography with atleast 50% marks with sufficient knowledge of quantitative methods and techniques; and with Political Science, or International Relations or Economics as a subject at the B.A. or M.A. level or Master’s degree in International Relations, Political Science, History, Economics or Oceanography and Environmental Studies with atleast 50% marks and with Geography as one of the subjects at Bachelor’s degree level or with Political Geography as one of the subject at the M.A. level.
- Candidates seeking admission to International Legal Studies must have an LL.B. (Three year) degree with atleast 55% marks after Bachelor’s degree; or an LL.B (Five year) degree with atleast 55% marks in the aggregate or an M.A. with International Law as one of the subjects with atleast 55% marks in the aggregate or a LL.M. degree with atleast 50% marks in the aggregate.
(B) M.A. in:
POLITICS (with specialization in International Relations)
Eligibility: Bachelor’s degree under 10+2+3 pattern of education in any discipline with atleast 50% marks.
(C) M.A. in:
ECONOMICS (with specialization in the World Economy)
Eligibility: Bachelor’s degree under 10+2+3 pattern of education in Economics with at least 50% marks in aggregate and with either Mathematics or Statistics as papers or subsidiary subjects.
II. School of Language, Literature and Culture Studies
(A) M.Phil. / Ph.D. in: French, German, Arabic, Russian, Persian, Chinese, Hindi Translation, Urdu, Hindi, English, Linguistics, Japanese & Spanish ; and Ph.D. in modern western philosophy.
- M.Phil. / Ph.D. in English: Master’s Degree in English or Linguistics or Sociology or History or Philosophy or Folklore or Film & Communication Studies or Culture Studies or Comparative Literature with at least 50% marks.
- M. Phil/Ph.D in Linguistics: Master’s Degree in Linguistics or Psychology or Sociology or Folklore or Culture Studies or any Language or M.Sc. in Speech & Hearing or Computer Science Engineering or MCA with at least 50% marks.
- For Hindi Translation: Master’s degree in Hindi with 50% marks or Master’s degree in any Indian/Foreign language with 50% marks and Hindi as one of the subject at B.A. level.
- For other Languages Subjects: Master’s Degree in concerned Language/Subject with atleast 50% marks.
(B) M.Phil. in: Portuguese.
Eligibility: Master’s degree in Portuguese with atleast 50% marks or Master’s degree in any other Romance Language (Italian, Spanish, French, Romanian) or in English with atleast 50% marks and an Advanced Diploma in Portuguese with atleast 50% marks.
(C) M.A. in: English, Linguistics, Hindi, Urdu, Persian, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, French, German, Russian & Spanish.
Eligibility: Bachelor’s degree under 10+2+3 pattern of education in any discipline with atleast 45% marks with adequate proficiency in the language concerned.
(D) B.A. (Hons.) in: Persian, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, French, German, Russian and Spanish (With Entry Points to both 1st And 2nd Year).
- For B.A. (Hons.): (1st Year): Senior School Certificate (10+2) or equivalent examination with atleast 45% marks.
- For B.A. (Hons.): (2nd Year): First year of Bachelor’s degree under 10+2+3 pattern of education or an examination recognised as equivalent thereto with atleast 45% marks with adequate proficiency in the language concerned.
III. School of Social Sciences
(A) M.Phil. / Ph.D.Programme is offered by the following Centres which have their curricular and research work organized on interdisciplinary basis with a focus on some major problems of study: CENTRES: Economic Studies & Planning; Historical Studies; Political Studies; Regional Development (Geography, Economics & Population Studies); Social Systems (Sociology); Educational Studies (Psychology, Sociology, Economics & History of Education); Social Medicine & Community Health; Philosophy and Studies in Science Policy.
Eligibility: Master’s degree in the subject concerned with atleast 50% marks; or Master’s degree in allied subjects or Humanities with atleast 55% marks; or Master’s degree in Natural Sciences with atleast 60% marks. For Centre for Studies in Science Policy: Master’s degree in Social Science or Humanities or Law or Management with 55% marks or Master’s degree in Natural Sciences or Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Technology or Medicine with 60% marks. For Centre for Social Medicine & Community Health: Master’s degree in Sociology, Psychology and Anthropology, Economics, Political Science, History/Social work, Geography, Population Studies, Public Administration, Nutrition and other relevant applied Science and Social Science subjects with 50% marks.
(B) MCH/Ph.D. (Master of Community Health)
Eligibility: MBBS Degree with atleast 50% marks and atleast one year’s work experience after internship; or M.Sc. Degree in Nursing with atleast 50% marks and atleast one year’s experience in Community Health Nursing.
(C) M.A. in: ECONOMICS, GEOGRAPHY, HISTORY, POLITICAL SCIENCE AND SOCIOLOGY
Eligibility: Bachelor’s degree under 10+2+3 pattern of education in any discipline with atleast 45% marks.
IV. School of Life Sciences
(A) M.PHIL./PH.D. in : Areas of Interdisciplinary Research In Molecular Biology, Genetic Engineering, Plant Biotechnology, Genetics, Develop-Mental Biology, Cell Biology, Immunology, Neurobiology, Microbiology, Radiation And Cancer Biology, Bio-Physics And Structural Biology.
Eligibility: Open to candidates with M.Sc. Degree in either Biology or Non-Biology background as well as to MBBS candidates. Master’s Degree with at least 55% marks or equivalent grades in Biochemistry, Biophysics, Biotechnology, Botany, Chemistry, Genetics, Life Sciences, Microbiology, Pharmacology, Physics, Physiology, Zoology, other allied subjects, disciplines of Agricultural Science or MBBS degree.
(B) M.Sc. in: Life Sciences
An integrated interdisciplinary programme in Modern Biology .
Eligibility: Bachelor’s degree under 10+2+3 pattern of education in Biological, Physical or Agricultural Sciences with atleast 55% marks.
V. School of Environmental Sciences
(A) M.Phil./Ph. D. In Environmental Sciences
Including Interdisciplinary Areas of Biology (Ecology, Biotechnology, Biophysics, Bioremediation), Chemistry (Air, Water, Soil Pollution), Geology And Physics.
Eligibility: M.Sc. degree or equivalent in any branch of basic or applied sciences or MBBS degree with atleast 55% marks.
(B) M.Sc. in: Environmental Sciences
An Interdisciplinary Course With Environmental Orientation, Drawn From Relevant Areas of Biological, Chemical Earth And Physical Sciences.
Eligibility: Bachelor’s degree under 10+2+3 pattern of education in any branch of basic or applied sciences with atleast 55% marks.
VI. School of Computer & Systems Sciences
The School offers Academic Programmes Leading To The Degrees In Computer Science And Technology
(A) M.Phil. / Ph. D. & M.TECH / Ph. D.
Eligibility: Master’s degree in Computer Science; or Mathematics; or Statistics; or Operational Research; or in any branch of Science; or B. Tech. in any branch of Engineering; or Master of Computer Applications (MCA) with atleast 55% marks or equivalent grade point.
(B) M.C.A. (Master of Computer Applications): 3-Year Programme Open To candidates With Adequate Competence In Mathematics.
Eligibility: Bachelor’s degree under 10+2+3 pattern of education with atleast 55% marks in any discipline with adequate competence in Mathematics.
VII. School of Physical Sciences
(A) Ph. D. In Physical Sciences (Pure Physics And Interface of Physics And Chemistry). The Emphasis Is On Topics of Chemical Physics, Computational Physics; Condensed Matter Physics, Disordered Systems, Granular Materials, Mathematical Physics. Non-equilibrium Statistical Mechanics, Non-linear Dynamics, Quantum Chaos, Quantum Optics And Statistical Nuclear Physics. Experimental areas include complex fluids, materials science, superconductivity, magnetism, non-linear optics, semiconductors, polymers and nanoparticle physics.
Eligibility: Master’s degree in Physics, Chemistry or Mathematics with atleast 55% marks. Candidates having majored in Physics or Chemistry should have had Mathematics atleast up to the Bachelor’s level. Candidates majoring in Chemistry should have specialized in Physical Chemistry/ Chemical Physics at the M.Sc. level. Exceptions can be made in case of applicants with a B.Tech. (Electronics/Electrical) degree provided they successfully compete in our entrance examination.
(B) M.Sc. in PHYSICS.
Eligibility: Bachelor’s degree (with Physics as one of the subjects) under the 10+2+3 pattern of Education with 55% marks in the aggregate (or in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics combined).
VIII. School of Arts & Aesthetics M.A. In Arts & Aesthetics:
The M.A. in Arts and Aesthetics is devoted to the history, critical theory and aesthetics of visual and performing arts, primarily of India. Specialization is available in the streams of visual and performing arts with a common pool of core courses.
Eligibility: Bachelor’s degree under 10+2+3 pattern of education with at least 50% marks.
IX. School of Information Technology Advanced (Post Graduate) Diploma In Bioinformatics.
Eligibility: For Biology Track: Master’s Degree in any branch of biological sciences or equivalent, MBBS, or BHMS. with atleast 55% marks. Mathematics till class X is required and class XI and above is preferred. For Non biology Track: M.Sc. in any branch of physical sciences, chemical sciences, mathematics, statistics, computer science, or B.Tech., B.E. or equivalent in any branch of engineering with atleast 55% marks. Biology till class X is required and class XI and above is preferred.
X. Centre For Biotechnology
Ph. D.: Gene Transfer And Expression In Eukaryotic System, Transcription Control And Gene Regulation, Protein Engineering, Molecular Biology of Infectious Diseases, Molecular Immunology, Protein Stability, Conformation & Folding, Optimization of Recombinant Protein Production, Structural Biology & Molecular Bioinformatics, And Biochemical Engineering.
Eligibility: Master’s degree in Biotechnology, Biochemical Engineering, Biochemistry, Chemistry or any branch of Biological Sciences with atleast 55% marks.
XI. Centre For Sanskrit Studies
M.Phil. / Ph. D. IN SANSKRIT
Eligibility: Master’s degree in Sanskrit or in an allied subject (with Sanskrit up to B.A.) with at least 55% marks.
M.A. IN SANSKRIT.
Eligibility: Bachelor’s degree under 10+2+3 pattern of education in Sanskrit or in any other subject with at least 45% marks.
XII. Centre For Molecular Medicine
Ph. D. In Areas of Metabolic Disorders, Infectious Diseases, Diagnostics And Molecular Endocrinology.
Eligibility: Master’s Degree in any branch of Biological Sciences/MBBS/B.V.Sc./B. Pharm. degree with at least 55% marks.
XIII. Centre For The Study of Law And Governance
M.Phil. / Ph. D. IN LAW AND GOVERNANCE
Eligibility: Master’s degree with 50% marks in Political Science, Public Administration, Economics, Sociology, History, Philosophy or an equivalent degree in Law; or 60% in any natural science discipline.
- School of Language, Literature and Culture Studies
- School of Social Sciences
- School of Arts and Aesthetics
- School of Life Sciences
- School of Environmental Sciences
- School of Computer and Systems Sciences
- School of Physical Sciences
- School of Information Technology
- School of Biotechnology
- Centre for Molecular Medicine
- Centre for Sanskrit Studies
- Centre for the Study of Law and Governance
- Central Drug Research Institute (CDRI), Lucknow
- Centre for Development Studies (CDS), Trivandrum
- Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB), Hyderabad
- Central Institute of Medicine and Aromatic Plants, Lucknow
- College of Military Engineering (CME), Pune
- C.V.Raman Research Institute, Bangalore
- International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (ICGEB), New Delhi
- Institute of Microbial Technology, Chandigarh
- Military College of Electronics and Mechanical Engineering (MCEME), Secunderabad
- Military College of Telecommunication Engineering (MCTE), Mhow
- Naval College of Engineering (NCE), INS Shivaji, Lonavla
- National Institute of Immunology (NII), New Delhi
- Nuclear Science Centre, New Delhi (now renamed as the Inter-University Accelerator Centre(IUAC)
- The National Defence Academy, Pune
- The Army Cadet College, Dehra Dun