Maulana Azad Medical College
Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg,
New Delhi-110 002
The Maulana Azad Medical College is situated in the capital city of Delhi. It straddles the historic old city of Delhi on one side and the more modern Lutyen's Delhi on the other. The sprawling campus includes the college and three of its major associated hospitals namely Lok Nayak Hospital and GB Pant Hospital and the Guru Nanak Eye Centre. This institution is named after the great patriot and educationist, Maulana Abdul Kalam Azad and has been in existence since 1959.
The primary aim of this institution is to produce competent basic doctors, specialists, and super specialists. It has endeavored to promote all facilities conducive to learning and furtherance of knowledge by:
- Contribution towards national health care delivery system by providing efficient and expert medical services through the associated hospitals.
- Establishing routine and specialized laboratories of excellence and other investigative facilities.
- Pursuance of objectives of medical education by improving the course contents, continuing education and strengthening of research activities.
- Extending medical support to the local authorities for health care programmes.
- Extending health care facilities to above 30,000 rural population of Delhi through its organized centers in the community.
Maulana Azad Medical College and associated hospital complex consist of four integral units, names Maulana Azad Medical College, Lok Nayak Hospital, Govind Ballabh Pant Hospital and Guru Nanak Eye Centre. The college was established twenty two years after the commissioning of Irwin Hospital, a well established general hospital drawing patients mainly from Delhi and from the neighboring states of Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh and Rajasthan.
This ideally situated general hospital with long years of reputation paved the way for realization of this medical college.
The college made its humble beginning in hospital block of Irwin (Lok Nayak) hospital 1958. The foundation of main building of the college was laid by Pandit Govind Ballabh Pant, the then Home Minister of India, on 24th October, 1959. this building was declared open by the first Prime Minister of India, Pandit Jawahar Lal Nehru on 26th February, 1961.
In 1964, Govind Ballabh Pant Hospital was added to the complex to provide training facilities and super-specialties. The Guru Nanak Eye Centre came into existence on 20th December, 1977 with the commissioning of a separate out patient department for ophthalmic diseases. The wards for the indoor patients were added in 1986. The long awaited demand of the residents of Union Territory of Delhi for a Dental wing was met with the establishment of a separate Dental Wing in 1983. This wing has become fully established Dental College since 2003.
The institution offers courses in medical specialties at the undergraduate, post graduate, and at the post doctoral levels. All these courses are recognised by the Medical Council of India and affiliated to the Delhi University.
Under Graduate Courses
The institution offers MBBS and BDS courses at the undergraduate level. It admits 180 students for the MBBS and 20 students for the BDS course annually.
- MBBS (5½ years (including 1 year of internship)
- BDS (5 years (including 1 year of internship)
Post Graduate Courses
The institution offers postgraduate degrees and diplomas in a variety of medical specialties. A total of 67 seats are available for MD, 25 for MS, and 25 for post graduate diploma courses. The details of courses offered are:
- Anaesthesia (6)
- Biochemistry including M. Sc. (2)
- Dermatology including Venerology (3)
- Forensic Medicine (2)
- Medicine (13)
- Microbiology (4)
- Obstt.and Gynaecology (8)
- Pathology (4)
- Paediatrics (10)
- Pharmacology (2)
- Physiology (2)
- Community Medicine (2)
- Psychiatry (2)
- Radiodiagnosis (3)
- Radio-Therapy (2)
- Anatomy (3)
- E.N.T. (3)
- Orthopaedics (4)
- Ophthalmology (7)
- Surgery (8)
Post Graduate Diploma Courses
- D.A. (8)
- D. C.H. (5)
- D.M.R.D. (2)
- D.O. (4)
- D.L.O. (1)
- D.V.D. (1)
Duration of Course:
MD/MS Courses : 3 years
Diploma Courses : 2 years
Post Doctoral Courses
The institution offers post doctoral courses in 7 super-specialties and admits 24 students each year to these specialties.
- D.M. (Cardiology)(5)
- D.M. (Neurology)(4)
- M. Ch.Cardiovascular Thoracic Surgery (4)
- D.M. Gastroenterology (3)
- M. Ch. Neuro -Surgery (4)
- M.Ch. Gastrointestinal Surgery (2)
- M. Ch. : Paediatrics Surgery (2)
Duration of Course:
Postdoctoral Courses : 3 years