SSC Assistant Grade Exam
Department of Personnel and Training
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
Block No. 12, Kendriya Karyalay Parisar
New Delhi – 110003
The ‘Assistants' Grade Examination is conducted by the Staff Selection Commission of India for recruitment of deserving candidates for the different Indian Government Establishments and Offices, which are mentioned hereunder:
- Grade IV -Assistant of the General Cadre of the Indian Foreign Services B
- Grade II -Cypher Assistant of Cypher Cadre of Indian Foreign Service Branch B
- Assistants' Grade of the Railway Board Secretariat Service
- Assistants' Grade of the Central Secretariat Service
- Assistants' Grade of the Armed Forces Headquarters Civil Service; and Posts of Assistants in other Departments / Organizations and the Attached Offices of the Government of India, not participating in IFS (B)/Railway Board Secretariat Service/ Central Secretariat Service/Armed Forces Headquarters Civil Services.
The Staff Selection Commission (SSC) conducts the Assistants' Grade Examination, once a year in two stages. The Preliminary Examination (Objective Type) for selection of candidates for the Main Examination is held in the month of January.
Eligibility of the candidates for appearing in the Assistants Grade Examination of Staff Selection commission is explained hereunder:
- Degree from a recognized University or equivalent
- A candidate must have attained the age of 20 years and must not have attained the age of 25 years on the first day of the August of the previous year.
- The upper age limit is also relaxed to 30 years in respect of LDCs/UDCs, Stenographers Grade ‘D’ and Grade III with not less than 3 years continuous and regular service in various departments/offices of Government of India.
Mode of Exam
The Exam Pattern of Assistants Grade Examination conducted by the SSC consists of two stages to select the candidates.
1. Preliminary Examination
This is of objective type and is a screening test for selection of candidates for the main examination. Preliminary examination is conducted for 300 marks, which comprise of the following subjects:
I. Reasoning Ability – For 75 marks (75 Questions)
II. General Awareness – For 75 marks (75 Questions)
III. Arithmetic – For 75 marks (75 Questions)
IV. Language Paper English or Hindi – For 75 marks (75 Questions)
The aggregate marks secured in Part (I), (II) and (III) will be taken for preparation of the list of candidates to be called for Main Examination.
2. Main Examination
Main exam consists of conventional type (300 Marks) and will consist of the following papers:
Paper I: Language Comprehension
(a) General English – For 50 Marks
(b) Communication/Writing Skill – 150 Marks
The duration of the paper is 3 hrs.
Paper II: Arithmetic
- The Maximum Marks are 100 and the duration of the test is 2 hrs.
- The question papers for the Main Examination will be of Conventional (Essay) Type.
The Staff Selection Commission (SSC) conducts the Assistants Grade Examination, once a year in two stages. The Preliminary Examination (Objective Type) for selection of candidates for the Main Examination is held in the month of January. The Assistants’ Grade Main Examination is held in the month of July. Blank application forms and other particulars are published in the Employment News, usually in the month of September of the previous year.
The last date for submission of applications is usually happens in the first week of October of the previous year.